Kombucha is a delicious and nutritious, but oh-so-pricey in the stores! Easily make your own custom creations at home for a fraction of the cost with a SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast) and a few simple ingredients.
- Brew sweet tea according to the tea, sugar, & water ratios below, allow it to cool to room temp & strain
- In a glass, metal-free container, combine sweet tea, starter tea, and SCOBY. Cover with towel secured by a rubber band.
- Store at room temp in a dark area. Wait 7-20 days, to taste.
- Bottle tea in air-tight containers, leaving enough leftover to use as the starter tea for your next batch.
- Optionally (and recommended), add a 1-3 Tablespoons of fruit juice to each bottle of tea to flavor to taste. Jessica's favorites are lime, lemon, and Trader Joe's Power 7 red fruit juice. Allow bottles to sit at room temperature in the dark for 2-3 additional days before storing in the refrigerator.
- 1½ teaspoon loose tea OR 2 tea bags
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2-3 cups water
- ½ cup starter tea or vinegar
- 1 tablespoon loose tea OR 4 tea bags
- ½ cup sugar
- 6-7 cups water
- 1 cup starter tea or vinegar
- 2 tablespoons loose tea OR 8 tea bags
- 1 cup sugar
- 13-14 cups water
- 2 cups starter tea or vinegar
P.S. - If you need a SCOBY, I usually have many to share! Email me at: invest [@] prairiefood.coop
P.P.S - Watch the video below to be INSPIRED by PFC!