The PFC Board is excited to share that we have begun the Store Design process. That is, we are working with a talented team of co-op experts, architects, and general managers to create the beautiful store we’ve been dreaming of since day one.
We have a “dream team” helping with this project. The Board has hired Firebrand Coop and Retail Planit to help create a store that represents the values of our PFC community. This team of consultants includes:
- Dan Arnett - General Manager of Chicago Food Coop and Cooperative Development professor who has overseen the development of 4 food coops
- JQ Hannah - Food Coop Initiative assistant director and former GM of Common Ground Food Co-op in Urbana
- Karla Krueger - Karla brings over two decades of grocery store design experience
- Kaye Kirsch - Firebrand co-owner and project manager of Prairie Roots Food Co-op, a recently funded $2.9M project
Adding to this dream team is our own PFC Store Design volunteer team including:
- Team lead Megan Harte, local architect and co-owner of 845 Design Group (and early proud PFC Owner!)
- Kevin Corral of Ade Food Service for equipment planning and procurement
- Jeff Gahris DuPage County Forest Commissioner who will bring a focus on sustainability
- Rick Lewellayn who brings decades of experience developing and opening sustainably-focused, fiscally-sound grocery stores
In just a few short weeks, Owners will be provided photo-realistic renderings of our home-grown grocery store! This will provide a clear idea of what PFC will look and feel like. It will include the departments and services that PFC will offer and what your shopping experience might be. Will we have a sandwich or smoothie bar? What will the community space look like? How will we market our values of supporting local farmers and food producers? How will PFC support sustainability?
We are so excited to embark on this journey of a shared vision for a better grocery store - one that is owned by US, that gives back to the community, and that supports local farmers and food producers.