The Outreach Manager will be a half-time contract position reporting to the Prairie Food Co-op Board of Directors. Primary responsibility will be to coordinate planning and execution of the co-op development process and to maintain momentum needed to make demonstrable progress toward store opening. Because this is a half-time position, the Outreach Manager will need to make use of the time and skills available from board members, owners, and other volunteers to complete project activities.
Candidates for this position must have excellent communication, management and team-building skills to coordinate with the Board, future General Manager, working committees, as well as co-op owners, prospective owners, stakeholders, and community.
Candidates must have a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends. Occasional travel may be required. Candidates will be responsible for their own transportation.
The contract will be for one year with the possibility of extension and full-time employment. Salary for this position is $20 per hour. There will be a 90-day probationary period for this job.
Primary Responsibilities: Work with Prairie Food Co-op board members, owners, and working groups to coordinate the following–
- Build relationships with community partners, local businesses, farmers, local food artisans, and individuals to educate them about the co-op and its mission.
- Actively drive Prairie Food Co-op’s owner recruitment campaign, building ownership to meet co-op milestones.
- Maintain a database of current owners, prospective owners, and other stakeholders to help track, drive, and manage outreach efforts.
- Coordinate planning and execution of outreach/owner recruitment events.
- Plan and coordinate promotional communications through press releases, social media, targeted advertising, presence at local events, etc.
- Provide board members and owners with resources and assistance needed to improve effectiveness of individual outreach efforts.
- Develop/maintain relationships and communication with Cooperative Development Services (CDS) and Food Co-op Initiative (FCI) consultants, board members, working group members, co-op owners, potential owners, and other stakeholders and partners.
- Develop/maintain procedures to ensure the smooth functioning of the Outreach committee.
- Work with the Board treasurer to create and maintain a budget for Outreach activities and events.
- Attend educational workshops to learn about and implement best practices for co-op development and build relationships with others working in the co-op industry.
- Coordinate execution of work and achievement of milestones needed to move Prairie Food Co-op out of the Organizing Stage and into the Feasibility & Planning Stage.
- Work with the board to coordinate activities and resources in the Feasibility & Planning Stage.
- Assist Site Selection Committee in recruiting consultants and coordinating activities for a market analysis.
- Develop plans and secure resources needed for the owner loan campaign.
- Assist in developing timelines and securing resources needed for Prairie Food Co-op to move into the Implementation Stage.
- Passion for local food, food accessibility, healthy eating, education, community-building, and a cooperative, community-based approach to doing business.
- Excellent organizational skills, preferably including experience working with volunteers. (This job will require the ability to get things done through others.)
- Exceptional communication and writing skills.
- Fantastic interpersonal skills, including the ability to engage different types of people. (Current involvement in our local community is a plus.)
- Creative thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- At least one year working experience as a community organizer or with management of community organizations or advocacy groups.
- Computer and technical knowledge, including social media.
- Experience with budgeting, fundraising, and capital development.
- Application deadline October 20th, 2014
- Submit a Resume and Cover Letter to Prairie Food Co-op Board of Directors at [email protected].